COB (Chip on Board) LED
COB is a recent form of LED technology now available for digital displays. While newly available for deployment the COB development path has been underway for a number of years. DPS has been tracking COB development for some time, monitoring the various development iterations as the technology matured from concept and working models, now to robust real-world deployment.
Contact DPS to discuss how COB may assist your project.
COB is one of four LED technology types that DPS considers during project design evaluation. Each technology has a role to full fill subject to the projects – circumstances, environment and content needs – external, internal, high or low-light levels, content use, viewing distance, display access, weight and power use, operating cost etc.
As pixel pitch development has progressed to sub 2mm pixel pitch products, COB has been developed to service fine pixel pitch needs. Currently four pitch options – 1.9mm, 1.5mm, 1.2mm and 0.9mm, all for internal use.
- Efficient manufacturing process that delivers a more stable product with faster manufacturing times than alternate choices with lower LED mortality failure rate
- The COB pixels are directly packaged onto the PCB boards whereas alternate technologies rely on soldering methods to connect diodes, giving greater potential for failure
- The face of COB modules are smooth and robust allowing easier and faster cleaning and less potential for damage from impact compared to alternatives
- COB provides extreme horizontal and vertical viewing angles
- Module sizes and pixel pitch options provide exact 16:9 formats in 2K, 4K and 8K
- The module sizing and design provides fast and efficient assembly with high alignment tolerances.
- The new design and manufacturing provides efficient acquisition and operating costs compared to other technologies
COB 1.9mm Pixel Pitch Double-Sided 32:9 Display, QIC Watergardens, Melbourne, VIC
Example 2K and 4K Display Combinations utilising all four pixel pitch options